Cleaning the study #ohmyexcitinglife

15 Jan

Several years ago, the professional organiser I hired told me that we needed to throw out 60% of our stuff. She was completely and absolutely wrong then and she is wrong still, but she might be a bit closer to right than I really thought she was.

I thought that the first room I attacked would be the bathroom. I did start to clear it, but then Fate intervened. In the form of the technicians who showed up to install our new FTTP (yay) National Broadband Network Internet Connection. So Fraser’s side of the study (which the girls use too – I am ABSODEFINALUTELY not blaming F for ALL the chaos here) went from this

Chaos on the floor

To this

Image

In about half an hour.

And then I got excited and cleared my desk off. Except for the cats.

Image

There is no before-photo of my desk. Whew.

And now I am working on The Chair. You know The Chair. The place (other than Mummy’s desk) where everything gets dumped. And I do mean everything. In our house, it’s even worse, because it is around a corner so you don’t even have to look at it. I found dirty clothes, clean clothes, new clothes that didn’t fit, my notes from my honours thesis (that I threw out the first time the professional organiser came, but later retrieved), my original HSC results certificate, empty plastic storage containers … even a parachute and a pair of mop slippers. I’m trying to do a bit every day but so far it has gone from this

Image

To this

Image

I can see the progress. And I can explain each and every thing that is there, and WHY it is there, which is more than I could before. Even better, I know that there are FOUR empty storage boxes and an old broken shelf there. Fraser has promised to put the shelf out in the garage (our staging location for big purges), and I am sure I can find uses (or at least a home) for the plastic storage boxes.

And meanwhile, I am contemplating a Shed. And a Garage Sale. Or just intimate first-name acquaintance with the local charity drop-off points.

8 responses to “Cleaning the study #ohmyexcitinglife

1. Tabitha

January 18, 2014 at 3:38 pm

Good job! I can see the difference, too. Those dumping grounds get scary fast, don’t they? -Tabitha Fletcher

January 18, 2014 at 7:01 pm

They sure do, Tabitha! And what a nightmare they become.

2. mycrazychaos69

January 20, 2014 at 2:20 am

Loving the progress!
    I love how you had intentions to start in the bathroom but had to clear the study, I am getting more accomplished by areas presenting themselves under has to happen now circumstances.
    Stopping by from the De-cluttering project at Nony’s

January 20, 2014 at 7:05 pm

Thanks for stopping by :)
      The has-to-happen is a bit like Nony’s doorbell, isn’t it. You can putter along doing a bit here & a bit there, but then something happens and you just HAVE to do it.

3. Tracy

January 20, 2014 at 10:24 am

I can definitely see the difference! I tackled my office this past week and today had a squee moment when my hubby asked for a checkbook and an envelope…and I knew where to direct him! Ha!

January 20, 2014 at 7:06 pm

That definitely deserves congratulations. My husband jokes (at least, I like to imagine he’s joking) that any time I say “maybe” he knows his quest is doomed.

4. aslobcomesclean

January 22, 2014 at 1:38 am

That is DEFINITE progress!!! Go you!

January 26, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Thanks, Nony. You are my inspiration!

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 858 other followers