Gamers around every corner

03 Apr

Biggie has been learning the Recorder for 2 years now, and has started private lessons to prepare to sit the AMEB Music exams. This is also introducing her to musical theory, which is important (I am always surprised that there is no musical theory in the core ‘performing arts’ curriculum at school).

After class, I was chatting with her teacher and someone (Biggie?) mentioned games.

The conversation went like this:

Recorder teacher: Oh, I love games! And Ravensburger – are they a german company? They make great games!

Me: Yes, lots of great games come out of Germany.

RT: We really enjoy them.

Me: You should try – have you heard of a game called Carcassonne?

RT: Yes, we have that. And Alhambra? And we played this game with Zombies last week

Me: OMGILOVEYOU!!!

OK so maybe that last bit was an exaggeration.

I just thought it 😉

Posted by on April 3, 2008 in games

8 responses to “Gamers around every corner

1. Fraser

April 3, 2008 at 10:16 pm

Alhambra with Zombies? Is that an as unyet published expansion? Undead builders? Cursed currency? Or did she just mean Alhambra and Zombies as two different games?

2. Chris

April 4, 2008 at 12:38 am

I wish I could have a conversation like that with someone in Oxford. Of course, since the Xbox live thing. At least some of the video gamers have at least heard of Carcassonne now.

3. RacingHippo

April 4, 2008 at 4:54 am

What is it that makes me think that RT’s future is going to include discovering an unexpected interest in 17th Century farming…?

4. melissainau

April 4, 2008 at 9:08 am

Um … it did crack a mention …

She’s doing a PhD on renaissance Florence though … I am reminding myself that Princes is probably a *little* complicated at this point …

5. Isaac

April 12, 2008 at 12:19 am

I’m always a little shocked when “our” games come up in a conversation with someone outside of the context of my group … ESPECIALLY when I’m not the one bringing them up. I was getting my oil changed one time, relating to my wife a story about trading wood for wood in a night from the previous game, and the clerk said, “Are you talking about Settlers of Catan?” And this was about three years ago, before it showed up on XboX Live.

6. melissainau

April 12, 2008 at 12:39 am

LOL! And then when they DO show up, we have to be careful not to scare them. Embracing them, for example, is almost never a good idea.

7. Chris

April 12, 2008 at 2:49 am

LOL! @6, is that coming from personal experience. I’d imagine if someone ever asked me about age of steam out of the blue, I would have to give them a full blown hug.

8. melissainau

April 12, 2008 at 7:52 am

I just always feel tempted: “Oh, we are soulmates! We are members of the Great Gaming Community of the World!”