Memories of the auction

12 Apr

The sun came out! Beautiful sunny day, vivid blue sky, despite predictions of rain.

There was a german family in the living room, talking price, confident that no-one was eavesdropping. Mwahahahahaha.

I settled as soon as I heard them saying 480 was fine – that was our ‘ok, put it on the market’ point.

The friends who showed up to watch the auction.

Blocking the back door so Fraser and the agent could talk in peace in the back yard.

Hiding in the 2nd bedroom as the agents ushered everyone else out.

Our wonderful, wonderful auctioneer.

Twittering to keep my mind off what was going on. Beeping phone annoyed Fraser.

Opening bid of $400,000 – yeah right.

The auctioneer countered with a vendor bid of $450,000 – $10k more than we had previously discussed.

Loooooooooooong wait for a bid of $460

470 – 480 – it’s going – 490 – 495 – we’re definitely on the market at this point. We’ll take $2500 bids at this point.

497,500 and it went long – sounded like it was passing in – before 500,000 and Fraser and I crack a smile.

507500

weird bid that was

make it up to 510? sure

jump jump jump – somehow we were at 525000 and Fraser and I could hardly believe it.

530000 *wow* <– this was my best case scenario (and I tend to be an optimist)

531000

Quote of the auction: “You can’t buy a house with just one bid, sir.”

“I’ll take ones, but why don’t you make it 535 for me?”

And someone did.

Going, going, gone.

Did I mention there were FOUR new bidders over $500,000? I think 6 bidders in all.

We were almost afraid to breathe, hiding in the second bedroom, waiting for the purchasers to sign.

They’re investors and are planning to renovate before renting it out. 60 day settlement, so we still have to wait.

Good luck to them! I hope we get to see the house post-renovation.

Agents were overjoyed as well.

Essen? Is now a reality.

Posted by on April 12, 2008 in realestate

11 responses to “Memories of the auction

1. Chris

April 12, 2008 at 3:48 pm

Congratulations Melissa. You deserved it. I’m glad everything worked out so well for you and Fraser.

2. Friendless

April 12, 2008 at 6:20 pm

Woohoo!

3. melissainau

April 12, 2008 at 6:47 pm

Thanks, guys. The relief is … well, it’s relief.

4. ekted

April 12, 2008 at 8:23 pm

Wow! What’s the AU/US exchange rate? $530K would buy a mansion with statues that piss champaign where I live.

5. melissainau

April 12, 2008 at 8:29 pm

The property market here is insane.

That’s about US$481,500. Sadly, much of that is eaten by taxes and agents’ fees and by the need to pay off two mortgages and a couple of smaller loans.

Friends in Europe have suggested (repeatedly) that we should sell up and move to somewhere where the cost of living is lower.

Edit – xe.com says $496,000

6. jon

April 13, 2008 at 3:52 am

Well I am very pleased to say that I told you so. What goes around, comes around. See you in October!!

7. Racing Hippo

April 13, 2008 at 5:24 pm

Fantabulous!
    Sounds like the auctioneer was excellent.

So… drinks are on you at Essen this year, yes? 😀

8. Fraser

April 14, 2008 at 9:24 am

The sad thing is the house is probably entry level 2 bedroom material where we live!

9. Fenchurch

April 15, 2008 at 8:07 am

Wow! That’s just incredible!!!

BTW, you should talk to Barb about how to set things up to post both here and your LJ, then you don’t have to worry about remembering to update. I believe you may even be able to set it to No Comments over there, with a link to this blog. I mostly say this out of self-interest, since I suck at remembering to check individual blogs. 🙂

10. Fenchurch

April 15, 2008 at 8:10 am

I just realized there’s no “reply” function here… 😦

Fraser,
    I know how you feel! We just refinanced and had to get our house appraised… and were absolutely floored by how much it was worth. I mean, it’s a nice house, but not THAT nice. Pretty much a starter home in a good area, and it would sell for more than we’d probably be able to afford, if we were wanting to buy it today.

11. melissainau