On Supermarkets

01 Jun

I went to the supermarket yesterday, and was struck by the changes in the food that they carry, and by the way they organise it.

Not that long ago, there was half of one aisle that was devoted to “ethnic” food. We got Old El Paso taco sauce and shells, pappadums and soy sauce. Whee! Coconut milk and won-top wrappers were real novelties.

These days, my supermarket even has an “American food” section with Oreos and Hellman’s Mayonnaise, and this weird fluffy marshmallow spread for toast (no I have not tried it. I just KNOW it is weird). And yesterday I discovered that my supermarket now has a DUTCH food section.

There were 3 or 4 different brands of spekulaas (or should that be OMGSPEKULAAS), sauerkraut (yeah yeah, not so Dutch … work with me …) and a bottle of apple sauce.

And then I saw it. The ultimate.

>>> SCHOKOPASTA. <<<

Sadly, I was doomed to disappointment.

This was not in fact chocolate pasta. It was chocolate pasta in the sense where pasta means paste, so more like Nutella than fettucini.

But still. Hee.

Posted by on June 1, 2008 in food, shopping

6 responses to “On Supermarkets

1. Fenchurch

June 2, 2008 at 10:01 am

I always gotten a big kick out of the fact that you had an American Food section in the “ethnic food” aisle. And your friend has be ecstatic that she can now get Hellman’s locally!

I have to admit, though, that I’ve never encountered this fluffy marshmallow spread for toast before. It’s American? Hmm. I wonder if it’s regional or something.

2. Fraser

June 2, 2008 at 12:04 pm

Yes it should definitely be OMGSPEKULAAS – As my parents used to say “Too good for kids”.

3. jeffwiles

June 4, 2008 at 3:42 am

Ditto Fenchurch – Marshmellow spread is not a common American food.

4. Frida

June 4, 2008 at 3:52 am

You know what they have now in Belgium? Spekulaaspasta (or better OMGSPEKULAASPASTA!!!), my sister brought it last weekend with her for the girls, but I think we ate it all. It is SO good. It was developed after a TV-show (the inventors), it did not win, but it is SO good, but OMGCALORIES!! too.

The Dutch name is zuurkool (sauerkraut) I think.

5. melissainau

June 4, 2008 at 7:30 am

Errm, Agnetha?

Oh. My. GOD.

Bring me some in OMGESSEN!???

Please???

Fen and Jeff: I will try to find out what it is called for you.

6. Frida

June 5, 2008 at 5:24 am

Will do 🙂

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )