When I say, “I have new shelves”
Non-gamers say something like:
- My that’s a lot of games; or
- They go nicely with the furniture; or
- Goodness, where did you get all those games from; or
- Have you played them all; or
- Where did you get those shelves?
Gamers say, almost invariably in this order:
- So do you need to buy more games to fill them? *
- (optional step) Ah yes, BILLY with the CD rack. Nice.**
- Hmm. You don’t have all the ALEA boxes. And you have two copies of Power Grid, one in German? And I can’t quite make out what is stacked with Thebes. And …
Four or five conversations all followed the same pattern. I love it.
* This comment only comes from people who have not been to our house and seen the many games that are STACKED IN THE CORRIDOR. There are still corridor stacks – but fewer than there were.
** This usually detours the conversation into a discussion of optimal stacking methods, whether or not to use the tops of the shelves, preferred shade of BILLY, IKEA horror stories etc.