Bigster’s foot*: The true story.

22 Nov

* not to be confused with Bigfoot, please.

Cast your minds back a week or so, to last Saturday. The one before last, actually. The 13th of November. A fateful day. Bigster has returned from high school orientation camp and is hanging with a friend.

"I am happy. I think I will ride my scooter."

Ouch! I fell off my scooter! My foot hurts!

OK I can hobble on it. That's not so bad.

Some hours later …

Umm, oww

Bigster and Fraser go to the Children’s Hospital and return in the astonishingly short time of around two hours.

They think it might be FRACTURED!

These crutches will take some getting used to

And they do.

And we wait to hear from the hospital about our follow-up appointment.

We have to wait a WEEK to see the Doctor?

Finally, the big day comes, and the cast is cut off.

Believe it or not, I am now LESS swollen and bruised. I promise!

The Doctor is not sure. He even fetches a colleague, who is also unsure.

Well, we still don't know. Blah blah CT scan blah anaesthetic and tests blah screw in ankle blah my sonic screwdriver will do the trick

OK maybe without that last bit. But that would be REALLY COOL.

And so, the cast is replaced and we begin our sacrifices of large amounts of cash to the parking company at the children’s hospital. Because it’s all very well to socialise medicine, but you can’t socialise parking.

Not loving my new, bigger but still temp cast.

And we return, and have the scan, and make an appointment to return again tomorrow, no wiser.

Yah. So we still don't know what I did or how they will fix it. Sucks to be me this week!

The end … for now …

Posted by on November 22, 2010 in children, health

7 responses to “Bigster’s foot*: The true story.

1. Racing Hippo

November 22, 2010 at 10:21 pm

Your ability to maintain a sense of humour in times of Much Trauma are incomparable, m’dear.
    And I love the thought bubbles. Brilliant post 🙂

Big Hugs to Da Bigster!

November 23, 2010 at 10:53 am

well if you can’t laugh at yourself, you have no right to laugh at your children. And that is really the point, right?

2. Gerald

November 23, 2010 at 3:17 am

Tell her to GET WELL SOON! It’s not fun, I know.

3. Justine

November 23, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Loved the post, and the pictures (my beautiful, thoughtful, expressive niece) and the bubbles – dont love the tale so much, or the pain, or the delays or the uncertainties. You are all coping so well! Very proud!

4. Richard Gowan

November 24, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Good comment re hospital parking.

And a nifty little graphic chronology. Something to laugh at later. Hopefully she’ll also get a waterproof cast. They seem to have done completely away with the old plaster ones, and it is summer after all.

Will the screws be in long enough to test some security scanners?

5. Neisha

November 26, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Oh I haven’t seen Bigster in so long! It’s nice to see her little face. Send her my love. Hope to see her at Guides soon.