Things you should never say to a gamer

27 Apr

There are things that you should just never say to a gamer. In case you are ever tempted, I have made a handy reference list. Feel free to print it out and keep it in your wallet or handbag next time you will be catching up with the boardgamer in your life.

• “Is that the new Monopoly?”
  • “I know it’s my turn but I just have to call my hairdresser. And my cleaner. And my mum.”
  • “Oops. At least red wine doesn’t stain THAT badly.”
  • “They’ve taken it outside to play.”
  • “Can I get that at K-mart?”
  • “Are those puzzles?”
  • “That Roads and Boats game … I saw that at a garage sale last weekend. It was only $5. Guess I should have bought it huh …”
  • “I blame the translator.”
  • “We ordered pizza and played your game while we ate it.”
  • “Can we play Mousetrap now?”

Any more suggestions?

Posted by on April 27, 2012 in games

13 responses to “Things you should never say to a gamer

1. Caitlin Herington

April 27, 2012 at 3:40 pm

I was working in a secondhand bookshop on Rathdowne st when a lady came in wanting to buy a copy of Water Babies. Sure, I say showing her the shelf of kids books and finding a couple of lovely paperbacks. Oh no, she says, I was looking for a hardcover. Um says I, not sure if we have one, I’ll check. Aha, another shop of ours has one but it’s in xyz shall I get them to send it over for you? Well, says the lady does it have a blue leather cover? Um, no, why? Well my son borrowed one of the neighbours set of classics, and they all come in blue leather and he spilt coke on it so I need to replace it. A set. Of Classics. In leather. No idea of teh publisher or year. And she thinks she can just walk into any random second hand store and replace it!!!!
    I have much sympathy for the pix comment.

2. Caitlin Herington

April 27, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Gah! Pizza comment

April 27, 2012 at 4:12 pm

That was what inspired our post. Otto had a new babysitter last week, who was also looking after a friend. In fairness, it was thematic – they were playing a game about delivering pizzas. And it is Otto’s game. And I should be really really excited that non-gamers were playing a game.
      But shudder.

3. jackryder

April 27, 2012 at 4:01 pm

– “It’s only a wooden cube – look, you’ve got plenty of others.”
    – “If it was any good, it would have been published in English.”
    – “What do you mean, don’t use the player board as a coaster?”
    – “I wonder how many of these I can stick up my nose?”

April 27, 2012 at 4:12 pm

YES! Or only a train … as we listened to a Ticket to Ride carriage disappearing into a passing vacuum cleaner …

4. encyclocrat

April 27, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Never say “That’s Risky” when playing Risk.

April 27, 2012 at 4:33 pm

But that’s funny isn’t it?

*has never played Risk but would probably say that at least once*

5. Steve McIlhatton

April 27, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I love playing my games outside…

When we moved over to Aussie the removalists packing up my boardgames commented on how many awesome jigsaw puzzles I had

How about “look Dad, we made our own boardgame by mixing together bits from 6 of your favourites”?

6. racinghippo

April 27, 2012 at 6:15 pm

“Where’s the dice?”

7. Gerald McD

April 28, 2012 at 1:39 am

“I quit playing games when I was a kid.”

OR

“I don’t have time for childish things.”

8. Jonathan O'Donnell

April 30, 2012 at 11:56 am

“Don’t you ever get tired of this?”
    “I have to go home now.”
    “We bought the kids – I hope you don’t mind.” :->

Actually, all of these apply to role-playing sessions and book club as well. But I know I’ll get into trouble for the last one.

April 30, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Heh. I won’t give you grief for the last one. “Is it OK if we bring the kids” is alright though 🙂