My other life

07 May

I downloaded The Sims Freeplay for my iPad a few months back. I missed the whole Sims phenomenon when it was first released, for good reason as it turns out. These days, Otto “shares” the game with me.

Here are some things I have learned:

• I have great difficulty intentionally getting my sims to the point of wetting themselves.
  • Otto, however, does not.
  • To the point where, if I have a couple living in the same house, I usually build two toilets.
  • Otto loves to spend both types of in-game currency. I kinda have to threaten her to keep her from doing it.
  • The coolest people work nights.
  • No matter how good your oven is, it is always going to take 6 hours to bake gingerbread.
  • If my sims go to the toilet, I have to get them to wash their hands afterwards. Even if they are not registering as dirty.
  • Ditto before and after changing the baby’s nappy.
  • Speaking of which, there is a very small window of opportunity between sleep and poop.
  • Actually scratch that last one. I knew that already.
  • They also wash hands before eating and after gardening.
  • My brain is OMG SO SUCKABLE. OK – I knew that already too. I must never buy this game for the PC or I would never do anything else.
  • Sims can do baking without getting full. I wish I knew what they do with all the cookie dough that they should be eating.
  • People with expensive beds need less sleep.
  • Dogs like to dig.
  • Talking to a dog is as good as talking to a person.
  • And the true measure of quality of life is how good a shower you have. And whether you have a pink bookshelf.

Posted by on May 7, 2012 in games

11 responses to “My other life

1. Jonathan O'Donnell

May 7, 2012 at 4:36 pm

When I was at the NGV, I tried to convince them that they should produce tiny replicas of their key works for the Sims, Second Life, etc. I didn’t get very far, but it would have been a cool project.

May 7, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I’m guessing you might have had to pay them to take the pictures? But I agree – it would have been adorable. I think it was the Qld government that was quite active in Second Life for a while.

• Jonathan O'Donnell

May 8, 2012 at 10:22 pm

No, they wouldn’t have needed to charge. They churn out about five different sizes automatically whenever they photograph an artwork these days. Adding another size wouldn’t have been difficult – it is really just a special type of thumbnail, after all.

The images wouldn’t be reproduction quality, so they wouldn’t be too concerned about people using them for commercial purposes.

I know of at least one metadata expert who argues that a thumbnail is a type of metadata for an image, and so should be treated as catalogue data. And most cultural institutions are only too happy to get their catalogue metadata out there in the real world.

The tricky bit was going to be working out a way to link the image back to the gallery Web site, so that if people wanted more information (title, creator, dates, etc) they could find it.

May 9, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Good point. So as I understand it, this is the sort of thing that Second Life does really well.

I can see your colleague’s point but I disagree. I don’t think a thumbnail is metadata (where is the “structured description” – I guess there it depends on your definition of metadata). I do however think it needs to accompany the metadata wherever possible.

It’s one of the reasons I am enjoying Pinterest so much. So many of my bookmarks need to be visual.

2. Jonathan O'Donnell

May 10, 2012 at 11:13 pm

So if it isn’t the object, and it acts a vital part of the descriptor for the object, what is it…

DC.description = “Lisa Gherardini, wife of Francesco del Giocondo, smiles faintly as she looks directly at you. She is wearing a dark gown with yellow sleeves. Her long brunette hair is pulled back from her face in a severe fashion. She leans on a book. Behind her, a road winds away to a lake in the distance.

DC.description = [thumbnail of the Mona Lisa]

Which one is a better finding aid on the Musée du Louvre website, or on a site that gathers together all of Leonardo da Vinci’s works, or on pretty much any site where you are trying to find an image?

Thumbnails make great description metadata.

May 11, 2012 at 10:59 am

I think most people would find it using
      DC.title=”Mona Lisa”
      DC.creator=”Leonardo daVinci”

Thumbnails are replicas not descriptors. How do you index a thumbnail? If Metadata is about structured description (which I think it is) then a thumbnail doesn’t stack up.

May 11, 2012 at 11:00 am

Going at it another way: A photo of my kid isn’t metadata about my kid. It’s a record of a moment, or an activity, but it’s not metadata.

• Jonathan O'Donnell

May 11, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Look at your driver’s licence, Melissa. Name, address, date of birth, what you are licenced to drive & photo. All metadata that provides a structured way to describe your driving abilities.

When your kids are old enough to have student cards with photos on them (maybe they already are), then the photo will form part of the metadata about their relationship with the school.

May 11, 2012 at 7:24 pm

I’d say that is data captured to describe and administer my licence. It’s the core data, not metadata. And the photo is a record that makes it easier to manage & administer the licensing system.
        I don’t know the reason why students’ photos are on their ID cards but again, I reckon it’s about the visual record that allows staff to check that the student is who they claim to be. It is a form of data – as any record/object can be – but I don’t agree that it’s meta.